Philippine Games: Introduction

How I got introduced to Philippine Games.

One of the memorable things during my years studying in UP College of Human Kinetics was taking up Philippine Games Course under Ms. Kate Layug (Now Professor Layug). She introduced so many Philippine games. I was only aware of a few classic ones like patintero, sipa, habulan, piko, etc. I was surprised to discover that there were so many others. I was amazed how the Philippine games came about and how they were played.

One example was the game of Modified Cuarta sa Lobe. It was like playing rugby using a dried coconut (still intact):

The dried coconut used was with slits wherein the coins were securely planted. The number of coins depended on how many you like the teams to get. It was then placed in between the two opposing teams. As the game started, we rushed to the Lobe (dried coconut) and took out as much coins as we can, using our bare hands! The rules said we cannot throw or kick the lobe to our teammates; we can only hand it directly to them while dodging through the opponent's defense. The team with the most number of coins at the end of the given time won the game.

Based on my experience, I got scratches on my hands and knees hahahaha.

After I graduated from college, I had a stint teaching PE class to elementary girls in an exclusive school in Manila. It was the Linggo ng Wika and I was asked to provide Philippine games for the kids. Guess what I proposed for them to play: Modified Cuarta sa Lobe! I was laughing all throughout the game and the kids were really having fun.

I guess Philippine Games brings out the competitive spirit in one's self.

Notes about the game: The original Cuarta sa Lobe used knives to remove the coins. Also, just a reminder when playing, be careful when grabbing the husk at the start of the game. Sometimes you might bump your head with someone else's. Ouch!!

philippine games

2 comments:

Bradpetehoops March 18, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

The best!!!

Anonymous November 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

thanks your blog help me in my project. more power...

  © Blogger template Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP